We have been learning to spread and cut with a knife in Redwood Class. We've made tasty treats like crumpet pizzas, jam sandwiches and apple 'doughnuts'. On this page you will find some delicious recipes you can try at home.
Use the visual above to help your child to complete each step of the recipe.
If you are using the hob:
- To avoid burning little fingers, grease a frying pan with butter or oil and let your child pour the mixture into a cold pan.
- Cook the pancake on the hob until you see little bubbles forming on top. At this point flip it over and cook for 30 second more.
If you are using the microwave:
- Use a microwave-safe plate instead of a frying pan.
- Grease it with lots of butter or margarine, then help your child to pour a thin layer of batter onto the plate.
- It should be ready in 30 - 40 seconds.
This recipe has a few more steps than the chocolate pancakes, but it's great for practising spreading with a knife. If you don't have a rolling pin, you can just squash the bread with your hands or use a clean glass bottle with straight sides. You can also skip the grating step by using pre-grated cheddar cheese.